Top Releases of May 2019
We’re continuing our new monthly series with a look at the top games released on Steam during the month of May. As with last month’s post, this list looks at all games released during the month and grabs the top 20 by revenue earned in the first two weeks following release.
In this list, there really is something for every kind of player. From narrative single-player games to open world first-person shooters. Deep real-time strategy games to realistic simulation games. Pixely RPGs to Super-high-definition action games. Family-friendly racing games to dark horror experiences.
Here is this month’s list of top new releases ordered by release date (we’ve put this list on a handy store page too):
- Rise of Industry – a single-player, strategic, tycoon game with a living, breathing, and procedurally generated world set in the 1930s. released May 2, 2019.
- Swag and Sorcery – a very pixely pingle-player RPG, released May 9, 2019
- Yakuza Kiwami 2 – a high-def update to the classic story-driven beat ’em up with full controller support, released May 9, 2019
- A Plague Tale: Innocence, a single-player story rich adventure with full controller support, released May 14, 2019
- RAGE 2– a post-apocalyptic open world shooter, released May 14, 2019
- Beat Saber – a VR-only music rhythm game, released on May 21, 2019 after 12 months in Early Access.
- Team Sonic Racing™ – a cute, fast-paced arcade racing featuring Sonic and friends, released May 21, 2019
- BATTALION 1944: a realistic WWII multiplayer shooter, released May 23, 2019.
- Total War: THREE KINGDOMS – a turn-based empire-building and strategy game with stunning real-time battles, released May 23, 2019.
- Minion Masters – a free to play fast-paced strategic card game, with 1v1 or 2v2 battles. Transitioned out of Early Access on May 24, 2019.
- XERA: Survival – a multiplayer open world looter shooter, featuring a global gear stash accessible from any server. Launched in Early access on May 24, 2019
- FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY’S VR: HELP WANTED – a VR-only first-person survival horror game, released May 28, 2019.
- Layers of Fear 2 – a psychological horror game filled with unique puzzles, released May 28, 2019.
- SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest – a standalone expansion to the RTS/RPG hit SpellForce 3, released May 28, 2019.
- Void Bastards – a stylized action strategy game with loot scavenging and full controller support, released May 28, 2019.
- Assetto Corsa Competizione – the official Blancpain GT Series racing game, rendered with realistic simulation and including official drivers, teams, cars and circuits. Transitioned out of Early Access on May 29, 2019
- Conan Unconquered – a real-time survival strategy game set in the world of Conan the Barbarian, released May 29, 2019.
- Conqueror’s Blade – a free to play, medieval multiplayer action strategy game. Transitioned out of Early Access May 30.
- Deathgarden: BLOODHARVEST – a dark, dystopian, multiplayer survival game in which a ruthless hunter tracks and guns down scavengers. Launched in Early Access on May 30, 2019.
- Warhammer: Chaosbane – a hack-and-slash set in the Warhammer Fantasy world. Features solo, co-op, or multiplayer and full controller support. Released May 31, 2019.
The above list is generated by looking at revenue as one measure of popularity. But we know that this measure doesn’t fully capture the popularity of free games that many players may be enjoying but that don’t generate revenue the same way as the kinds of traditional paid games listed above. So this month, we’re also adding a list of the top five free games released in May, measured (and ranked here) by peak player count within the first two weeks following release.
- Conqueror’s Blade – a medieval multiplayer action strategy game.
- Splitgate: Arena Warfare – a multiplayer first-person-shooter that uses player-controlled portals to create a new dimension of arena combat.
- Minion Masters – a free to play fast-paced strategic card game, with 1v1 or 2v2 battles.
- Eden Rising – a solo or multiplayer open-world tower defense game.
- Never Split the Party – a multiplayer social rogue-like that depends on cooperative adventuring.
As we were building the above lists, we got curious about what popular games came out in previous years. So we looked back to a year ago in May 2018, and found the top 5 releases (in order of release date) were Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Conan Exiles, Raft, and DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED.
-The Steam Team